Thursday, October 01, 2009

The last post...rhyming slang!

Weather...quite nice. The sun is shining right now (5pm).
How do I feel?  Not relaxed.  I've not enjoyed work today in the slightest.  Roll on tomorrow afternoon.

I've just realised that after the dentist tomorrow lunch-time (I bet they ring to cancel) I'll be off to the Yorkshire Dales with Bev.  This then will be my last post until Monday.

Randi didn't understand me when I mentioned the word 'porkies' recently.

Here's a small selection of rhyming slang just for you...They usually originated from the East-End of London but it'll be fun to start your very own...if it doesn't already exist.
  • Pigs ear - Beer
  • Plates of meat - Feet
  • Butcher's hook - To have a look
  • Tea leaf - Thief
  • China plate - Mate
  • Mince pies - Eyes
  • Loaf of bread - Head (use your loaf-use your head)
  • Pork pies - Lies (little lies/ fibs are porkies)
  • Apples and pears - Stairs
  • Scarper - Run away (from Scapa Flow, meaning to go).
  • Adam and Eve - Believe
  • Ruby Murray - Curry
  • Trouble and strife - Wife
There are rude ones I believe, but let's not go there.

Any to add?

Right, I feel a lot better now! 

I'm going to use the chainsaw on that tree stump at the bottom of the garden now.  I'll feel better still when it's done. It has restricted entry into our shed for long enough.  GRRRRR!!

That's better!  It's bark wasn't bigger than my bite!

2 comments:

  1. Ken--thanks for posting these! Now I will really feel on the "inside" when you write any of these terms. It's too bad that wife rhymes with strife. Why does nothing rhyme with husband? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Randi
    Tubby rhymes with Hubby!
    It's taken me that long to think of one.

    ReplyDelete