Monday, October 26, 2009

Splash!

On the day that I found out that the USA and GB economies are the worst hit and are still in recession, I bought an iMac. It has just arrived. I'm even typing this very sentence on it.

As strange as it may sound Bev and I have never been better off than at the moment.  We've been simple-living folk who have always saved and never got into debt, so I think that has a lot to do with it.

We've never chased fashion or pampered our kids. We've never been too proud to accept hand-me-downs from our wealthier friends.  Some of the best buys we've ever made have been from Cancer Research or Help the Aged.  Until a few weeks ago we never even owned a credit card.

Do I sound as though I'm trying to justify buying the iMac?

I guess I am!

Goodness knows how I'll get on tomorrow when the new settee and easy chair arrives!

4 comments:

  1. What new sofa and chair, you've not mentioned that before. Glad you're enjoying your new computer Dad-we love ours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to treat yourself now and then. I'm on a massive economy drive after a lifetime of pampering myself so you and I are in reverse now.

    Enjoy your Mac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Juli. Your mum said..."you have your mac-I'll have my comfort". And that was that!

    Hi FF
    With Christmas on the horizon it doesn't look like the spending is about to stop, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you. Being thrifty is something us fifty-somethings are quite good at, generally. Comes of never having had owt when we were kids. The only designer labels I had were Aertex and Ladybird. I just don't understand why people need that sort of stuff.
    I know what you mean about the charity shops. I often find myself looking in their windows and see better clothes than I have at home.

    ReplyDelete