Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Cash Cow...

Rachel Campbell-Johnston has this to say about Damien Hirst today in The Times...
"The paintings are dreadful. Think Francis Bacon meets Adrian Mole. So why are these works now hanging in the Wallace Collection? What are they doing in the home of such masters as Rembrandt or Poussin,Titian or Fragonard?
The answer is simple: they are by Damien Hirst. And his is a name which curators must welcome. The artist who can transform a pickled bovine into a cash cow has the commercial touch that any cash-strapped museum needs, not least the somewhat sedate Wallace Collection".

Bravo Rachel!

Currently, the Tate Modern houses a structure entitled "How it is".  Bev swears it's a replica of a building being demolished just down the road from us.

Personally, I think that's "how it should be"...gainfully employing people to demolish such things in the hope of replacing them with something better.

Yes, I know opinion is as split as the pickled cow. I normally use a brush to paint onto canvas, but for once I'm nailing my colours to the mast...I'm not a lover of installation art or Damien Hirst's 25 paintings aptly entitled "No love lost".

I'm pigmented sick of all the fuss and find praise heaped upon such artists as hard to palette. Yes, I know!

Anyway, you may be getting the impression that I'm just a teensy, weensy bit envious of their fame and fortune.  Mmmm... possibly, but not a great deal.  If I can earn a meagre living slapping paint on canvas, you'll see a broad smile on my face...almost sufficient to split me asunder.  I'd be tickled, not pickled.

2 comments:

  1. You have here before you, in your little comments box, someone who thinks that most art of the last 80 years or so is absolute rubbish. Give me an artist who can actually make something look like it is meant to, who doesn't cut up animals and stick them in glass boxes, who doesn't put a dirty old bed on display and call it art, who doesn't do lots of coloured boxes on a canvas and call it a wonderful painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi FF, Just like the other 52 million of us you are far too old fashioned and off the pace.

    ReplyDelete