Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sunday invitation...

Church was good today...as it usually is.  I always feel better and come away having learned something new or given something to think about. 

We always leave home about 8:45 and get back about 2:30. So, for any enterprising burglar, try your luck with our place.  Feel free to take the telly and this computer.  There's food in the fridge but before you leave can you do us a big favour and finish the decorating in the front dedroom.  The most expensive thing we own is the six year old car we drove to church in.  We'd love to have left it behind as we've been hoping for years someone would take it. There's no money I'm afraid although you're welcome to have a look around...just make sure you tidy up after you. Oh, and watch out for the budgies as they have photographic memories and speak perfect English. You won't be the first to attempt to permanently shut them up, but you've got to catch them first and they are louder than any alarm.

I also should warn you of our neighbours who know more about what goes on in this house than we do. She often relates back to us of who visited, what time, what they were wearing and what they were driving.  She logs registration numbers, takes photographs and if she engages you in conversation you'll certainly be here when we get back.

Today MIL slept in and stayed behind.  If you'd have chosen today you'd have known about it and yes, I would have visited you in hospital.  It's the least I can do as a Christian.

I'm afraid we just aren't into worldy possessions.

I know it's Sunday but I'll quote Dylan anyway..."when you've got nothing, you've got nothing to lose".

Right...Martin and Sarah dropped by after visiting Lincoln Ward Conference and stayed for an hour or so.

Spoke to Juli but still can't get through to Susan.  I'll try again right now.

I'm fully charged, everything is in perspective and I'm emotionally up for whatever next week throws at me.  That's just one thing Suday does for me when I leave the world and worldly things behind.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Ken! This was so funny that I had to read it out loud to my husband. He had a good laugh at the part where the prospective burglar might still be talking to the neighbor by the time you get back from church.

    Good job--this was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Randi
    I thought my MIL could talk the hind legs off a donkey but she can't get a word in when she bumps into our neighbour.

    I shouldn't be so flippant about burglars. Once we WERE actually burgled (two houses ago)and they made off with our Christmas shop takings AND our old TV. We weren't only poor that Christmas but we couldn't even watch telly!

    ps, What is the primary reason for an alias for family on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember once my mother's semi- dismay when the houses on either side of us were burgled and we were ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ken,
    This is really funny -- and written like a pro. Reading you and Randi is like having a free subscription to the old Family Weekly Sunday supplement in the USA (except better written and far more humorous.)

    Dylan? Is that Bob Dylan or Dylan Thomas? I thought it was Kris Kristofferson (my idol), who said, "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose." Eh?

    smiles,
    rb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi FF. Now that's funny! I bet she was a right character. My mother wouldn't have said it, but I know she'll have felt it. What we wouldn't give to have them back with us again.

    Hi Robert. You should have said that to my English teacher Mrs Muhlethala. Yes, with a name like that she had the nerve to criticise me for not taking her seriously. Actually, she wasn't bad at all, but a little encouraging word wouldn't have fallen on deaf ears.

    Bob Dylan...like a rolling stone.
    Kristofferson's was Bobby McGee...as you well know!

    Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete