Saturday, October 10, 2009

Abigail's Party

What a coincidence that Christine, the woman who sits next to me after we moved desks yet again at work, was going to the theatre last night.  She was going to see her niece Holly in a play...who just happened to be the girl mentioned in Phil's blog-a mug of strong tea and a chip butty- when he was talking about not adding garlic in his stir-fry this week because he was to receive the kiss of life on stage for five nights.  It's the very same play that Bev and I will see in a few hours.

Before we go I have to dig out two remaining concrete chunks in prep for building the other half of our wall.

The sun is shining and it's a perfect morning for it.  It's a perfect morning for anything outdoors.

I'm boycotting the England game today.  It's scandalous that we have to subscribe to watch our national sport.  Anyway, I've got better things to do.

What a day!  Yes, I'm back home.

Nottingham centre, Hockley and the Lace Market were just spectacular today  There was so much atmosphere, colour and music.  We experienced lots of buskers and groups playing acoustic and electric guitars, penny whistle, harmonica,  various drums, accordian, jugglers and limbo dancers.  There was a crafts market in slab square too. Everyone was happy it seemed. The place rocked! Why didn't I take my camera?

We dropped by Edins Cafe as featured by Phil in his blog...it's quite a chic, earthy friendly place.  It oozes charm.
It took a while to find the theatre but we arrived in good time (10 minutes to spare).  A few couples were arguing about seats seconds before the start...they had the same seat numbers on their tickets but one couple had the wrong day. It was really funny to see who would back down first. It made for a good start. 

The play (Abigail's Party) a comedy satire so much reminded us of an almost identical experience we had with our neighbours Dave and Helen Voce in the same time period. It was uncanny.  Bev was in stitches.

 You all did really well Phil.  It flowed well. It's beyond me how you remember all your lines, never mind all the facial and body language.  Well done! We enjoyed it.

What's next? 

I've only just seen your invite to meet up after the show Phil.  Sorry we missed out there.  We would have hung back if we'd realised you had time to spare between the two performances.  Hopefully there'll be another opportunity in the future.

On the way home we dropped by HMV and used my birthday vouchers of a few years ago to buy a double album of  "A Show of Hands", a group we saw live in Leicester earlier in the year...a supurb evening! Miranda Sykes is an excellent musician and singer but I couldn't see anything with her alone.

A good day today!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Ken, nice to meet you briefly today and glad that you and Bev enjoyed the play so much. I have just got home (1.45am Sunday morning) after doing two performances of Abigail's Party and having helped dismantle the set (took one and half hours) and have a few drinks and some food to round off the day. I got a taxi home and am ready for my bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is just great how you two have now met up through blogging.If I was in the UK I'm sure I would have bloggy tea parties from time to time. As it is I am currently baking for a little expat tea we are having here today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Phil
    I notice that you've all previously been involved with different plays. Does this mean you aren't likely to see each other for a while now? Does it seem a little empty after a play finishes or are you relieved? Incidentally, where do all the props go? Surely they aren't re-used for some time?

    How many expats FF? Do you all speak French well? Do you speak French or English when you meet? Do you have English things to eat and drink?
    Have a good time anyway, as I'm sure you will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Ken. People come and go at the theatre and there are a core of people like myself who seem to be part of the fixtures and fittings. After the play is over life can seem a bit empty as after all we have given up three months of our lives previous to the production week in rehearsals. One also tends to rehearse privately as well. The three nights a week down at the theatre alone aren't enough to seal the play in one's head. Personally,I am now involved in Kindertransport in a teaching role. I am teaching the young girl lead how to speak German - well the German language in the play text anyway and I am doing the photography for the play too.

    The props are all housed around the theatre building in compact little attic storage spaces. Some props are the personal property of members or privately on loan. The orange settee and chairs are being sold to another theatre in London for their production of AP.

    All the cast and team for AP are meeting next tuesday evening for the traditional talkback and then we go out for a meal.As members of the audience you are welcome to join us.No doubt I shall use the meal as an excuse/reason to blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope, it was an English tea and I invited 5 other couples. Normally I do prefer to have the French over though - we don't mix much with Les Anglais but lately I have met a few people who are more like my sort of people

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for that Phil. I've brought a leaflet back which details Kindertransport. I'll have a read.

    It's just typical that only last night I arranged to go out with my son on Tuesday evening so I'll miss the talkback. It sounds an interesting exercise, but I fear it would have seen me out of my depth...discussing plays.

    I appreciate the invitation though. Thanks!

    I await your post on the meal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. FIVE other couples!! That's quite a gathering!
    What is your kind of person? I bet it's someone with a sense of humour, an interest in dogs and who has a love of creative writing. Am I close?

    ReplyDelete