Thursday, December 31, 2009

Last day and new beginnings

The last day of the year brings a sting in its tail.  Our car has failed the MOT and it has a list of other things about to go wrong too.  Fortunately, we have been ready for the eventuality ever since MIL almost strangled herself with the rear seat belt which seemed to self tighten every few seconds. Despite my protestations, Bev thought we should sort it out. Therein lies the fundamental difference between us...I seek for opportunity while Bev is motivated by love (only kidding!)

We've been looking for a suitable replacement all day...and have found one with the Toyota Yaris.  We've had Toyota for over twelve years and couldn't resist another.

I mentioned last post that I might share some new goals. I have taken a long hard look at what I would like to achieve in 2010 and have concluded that it isn't possible without change.  I will fail miserably.

I've not been successful with learning the French language in 2009, 2008, 2007 and 2006. I don't want to fail in 2010.  Similar failures are in my personal history, genealogy and art, although I have set things in motion regarding my art...albeit only recently. I have yet to get out of my pram in writing my personal history and it's like wading in concrete at the moment with my genealogy.

Everything else seems to fit into and around my life quite comfortably.

To solve the problem I've decided to change things around to accommodate them...

  • Immerse myself in the French language by watching a film each week.  Read daily (French).  Listen daily (French) and study 90 minutes minimum each day.  I need to see, hear and speak it regularly.
  • Attend the Family History Centre fortnightly to carry out genealogical research.  
  • Create an art blog and website.
  • Create a personal history blog to update as and when...possibly monthly.
The only way I can achieve these will be to replace my daily blog with a weekly art blog and to use the time freed up for serious study.

I'm not sure if I can do this as I've always kept a journal, but I do know that if I keep things as they are it will be virtually impossible. I'm falling between stools with these goals.

Like a bee trying to escape through a window into the garden and forever failing because the window is closed, there is a real need to try something different.  I can clearly see what I want through the window but keep flying against it and getting frustrated...I'll never succeed in getting through to the garden to smell the roses unless I try something different.

I still intend to visit my favourite blogs as I don't think I can go a day without peeking and if it becomes apparent that this new arrangement isn't working , I'll revert to my daily blog for February.

Actually, if this doesn't work I'll be at a loss to know what to do next.

Happy New Year everyone.  I truly hope it holds everything you wish for.

We're off to Jon and Ann Green's house to bring the New Year in with David & Eileen and Jim & Briony.

7 comments:

  1. Bonne année Bev et Ken !
    Ken, tu lis déjà du français aujourd'hui, l'année commence bien !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cher Marie-Jose
    What a lovely surprise. It's so good to hear from you.
    My French lesson of today will be to study your message and reply in French.. I recognise and understand 6 words and get the gist of the message but I'm not sure what 'lis' is.
    A biento!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it should be Chère Marie-Jose.
    My understanding of the message is that I'm reading French already today which is a good start to the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo Ken! C'est une bonne traduction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Progress!!!! Thank you!
    Who knows Marie-Jose, perhaps I will be able to hold a little conversation with you in May when we come again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could locate a captcha plugin for my comment form? I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having problems finding one? Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anon
    I'm afraid I have no idea...I'm not that up on things really...especially when things go wrong. Have you tried the forums?

    ReplyDelete