Wednesday, October 07, 2009

One of those days...

I walked to work yesterday feeling positive, happy and relaxed.  I don't know how it happened, but from 10:30 onwards strange things happened and the mood blackened.  The team suddenly became aggressive and negative culminating in words being said, barriers put in place and temperatures plummeting below zero.

Team meetings by management were instigated and implemented immediately.  There was finger pointing, sudden bursts of accusation followed by frosty silences, mumbling, razor sharp tongues in action and oaths uttered.  By the time 4:00pm came around it was either going to be blood, broken bones and open war,or peace, concilliation, tears and regret.

Well, it's amazing what a single kind word does in getting the ball rolling.  Tears flowed, smiles returned as did the warmth, apologies offered and accepted and an atmoshere of optimism dispelled the dark cloud hanging over us.  It felt like a winter purge leaving us with an early thaw.  The pessimistic grip had loosened at last.

Some things will never be the same though and I resolved not to be here by June 2010.  It's time to get back to full-time painting in preparation for living in France.  It will never happen until I make it happen.  I've been too comfortable with things as they are.  It's time to move on and I think nine months is adequate preparation and lead time.

Last night Bev worked at the back of the garden while I started to remove the posts in the front garden in preparation for finishing the other (smaller) part of the wall.

We spoke to Juli, Eileen, David, Marie-Jose and Florent in France and our CHinK friends about fund raising in Kenya.  I also booked tickets for the theatre on Saturday to see 'Abigails Party'. I was lucky to get tickets as every evening is now sold out.

It was nice to chill after such a frustrating day.

It's sunny at the moment, it's Wednesday and I'm about to walk to work again.  With luck 10:30 will pass without incident and I'll enjoy a full working day.  Oh yeah!!

I ENJOYED THE FULL WORKING DAY...no tears, barbed words, averted glances or pregnant pauses!

I did however feel a chill in the air walking back home but I can live with that.

Another follower I see.  Welcome Berowne!  What part of the planet do you rest your head on and is your interest in things French, art or just the ramblings of an obsolete radial driller and has-been window dresser?  Actually, these are two little known facts about me.

I'm determined to study some French tonight...nothing will stop me...unless I get carried away with reading my favourite blogs.

4 comments:

  1. Work. Those that seek it would give their right arm to get it. Those that have suffered it for so long can't wait to give it up. (Me for one.) Dragging oneself to work every day just makes possible all the things one wants to do whist not at work. Having it gives us choices we otherwise might not have. So we have to suffer the tantrums of our colleagues and the disdain of our bosses. "Tant pis."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for those sobering words Jean...and the French lesson. Does "Tant pis" mean it could be so much worse?

    I don't want to stop work so much as replace it with something more fulfilling. Seeing my life fly by and feeling powerless isn't nice. I still have choices to make which can be for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ken, "Tant pis" can mean "never mind" or "too bad", depending on the context.

    We keep plodding out to work each day, hoping that soon the moment will come when we can say "enough" and clear off to France !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jean
    'Enough' is fast approaching.
    Thanks for the expanation of 'Tant pis', it's another bit learned.

    ReplyDelete