Saturday, October 24, 2009

Retford revisited...

I wanted to get on with my wall first thing this morning, but the weather wasn't good and the mortar I mixed was too sloppy. I just had time to  put the first layer of rosemary tiles on before dashing to Retford with Bev for our Asda bag-pack to raise funds for CHinK (an orphanage in Kenya).

The last time I was in Retford was in 1975.  I was single and I phoned Bev from a traditional red box to say I couldn't get back in time to take her to a dance.  I was with another girl at the time and she still hasn't forgiven me. She told me that she still went to the dance...and sat with two boys who had dated the girl I was with.  We are all still good friends after all these years.

I was glad to get into the store from the rain but was terrified that all these hardened shoppers would find my fumbling with their foodstuff just too frustrating.  As it turned out it was a fantastic experience-once I stopped putting tins in the flimsy bags reserved for sliced meat only- and we stayed much longer than what was expected of us.

We met  so many different people and had so many laughs and two-minute conversations...as well as checking out eating and drinking habits. We raised over £400 on just three or four tills in as many hours.

Afterwards we wandered into Retford  and checked the market out and bought some loppers as well as lamb chops, sirloin steaks for a future treat, and shoulder of lamb for tomorrow...from Mr Bacon the butcher.  What a name for a butcher and it really is his name!

From Retford we sat-nav'd across country to ikea before ending up back home in the pitch black.

A long, rewarding and enjoyable day.

5 comments:

  1. Oh I so love the name Mr. Bacon for a butcher. When I was younger, my doctor's name was Dr. Fee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So now you have no excuse for packing the heavy stuff on top of the squashables!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that when the wall is finished you should have a party and definitely a blog entry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness Randi I'm sorry, I read something else for a split second. I'm ready for an eye test!

    You're right Juli, I'm an expert now. Ask your mum about the broken jar of sauce...not her fault but very messy...there was blood too!

    FF, I'm disappointed that the nights are drawing in fast and now the clocks have gone back there is little time to build other than Saturdays.

    Yes, it'll be a blog entry for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think there IS something wrong with my eyesight. I've replied to Blu thinking she's Juli.

    ReplyDelete