Saturday, January 29, 2011

My recommendation for a good read (update)

I included some childhood memories last year on this blog as a countdown to going to France.The author of this book, Madonna Dries Christensen must have liked what I wrote because she made contact through Foreign Quang to invite me to submit a couple of childhood memories for her new book to be published 2010/11.

The book is published, and guess what? Yes, I'm in it, recollecting my childhood toys! How cool is that? The whole world will be reading about me and the rest of the contributors.



It's available now from Amazon, so I guess my family won't be stuck for a gift for my birthday which is fast coming up. Actually, I can't wait that long. I'm ordering my copy now because my memory is fading...as it does, and I'm struggling to recollect what I wrote...it's an age thing.

You just never know where blogging takes you.

Thank you Madonna and Randi for thinking of me.

I'll be telling all my friends, Madonna, so that soon you will be rich and famous and shortlisted for all kinds of honours...or should I say MORE rich and famous?

Did I say it's available now on Amazon? :)

I totally forgot to mention the fact that all royalties from this book will go to the Down Syndrome Association of Northern Virginia. I just can't resist saying that for the price of a small pizza here in the UK, you can buy this wonderful book, have a fantastic read AND make a difference in someone's life...food for thought, eh?




17 comments:

  1. Yes you did mention Amazon, Ken, and I aim to go there right away. Congratulations... it just goes to show that our past IS important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow how cool is that!!! Well done Bloggy World!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to get my copy to see what you wrote! Madonna has a great love for history, especially family history so I was excited when she asked for your contribution. And when is this birthday?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Madonna Dries Christensen30 January 2011 at 01:14

    Ken: A friend sent me this. Many thanks. I'll send it out to the other contributors. Maybe it will give them some ideas. By the way, I might get famous (doubt it) but not rich. Remember, royalties from this book go to Down Syndrome Association of Northern Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Madonna Dries Christensen30 January 2011 at 01:36

    Oh, and by the way everyone, Ken's story is
    wonderful and poignant. Thanks for telling it, Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sob... according to Amazon the book is out of print. We must wait for another batch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Madonna Dries Christensen30 January 2011 at 14:34

    Valerie...it's print on demand. You order, the publisher prints and sends to Amazon. Can't be out of print. Sure you looked for the right book? Try again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Valerie
    Yes, I agree about our past being important. The older I get, the more important it seems.

    Hi Blu
    It would be interesting to hear how blogging has helped to make something happen in someone's life.

    Hi Randi
    My birthday is on Tuesday the 22nd February and I will be 59 years of age. There you go; they say that facing your demons speeds the healing process. This reply will self-destruct as soon as you've read it:)

    Hi Madonna
    I'm so sorry for not highlighting where the royalties are heading...I was so wrapped up in myself in enjoying the bright light of fame:) As recompense, I've decided to paint a toy each year and give the proceeds to your chosen charity.

    Hi Valerie
    Hope you don't get it quicker than me:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Madonna Dries Christensen30 January 2011 at 16:56

    Ken.. I haven't even seen a copy yet. Waiting for my author's copy before ordering more. Painting a toy for charity is a wonderful idea. However, you most likely have a favorite charity, perhaps one that helped you along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Madonna
    The charity to which the royalties will go is the charity that any proceeds of my paintings with a 'toys' theme, will go. It makes sense, it's shamefully painless, it ties in beautifully and is something of which I've already set my mind on.
    I often struggle with balance in my life, but this is something that I can do. I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Madonna Dries Christensen30 January 2011 at 20:58

    Sounds wonderful, Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ken, that's wonderful!!! I'm going to run on over to Amazon too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Madonna Dries Christensen31 January 2011 at 15:07

    For those of you who know Randi, her husband has a story in the book, and Randi has a brief interview with her son.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't know Randi and CK were included...superb!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Madonna Dries Christensen1 February 2011 at 18:14

    Ken, when you do your toy painting, let me know and I'll spread the word to possible buyers (me).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Madonna
    I've got you down in my little black book:)

    ReplyDelete