Thursday, October 22, 2009

Oublier

English life is re-claiming me and our French lifestyle is shelved for another half year. This feeling doesn't sit comfortably with me.  Can I really allow another year to pass and me not having made inroads into learning the language and preparing for living there?

I think I've taken significant steps towards painting-which is what I intend to do when we live there-with the two day's a week painting guaranteed from December (put back a month). 

The language is the problem, or should I say I have a problem with the language, as I have a seemingly deteriorating memory. My brain cells are being kidnapped! I have clarity of thought for something that happened 30 years ago, but what happened recently is more than a bit fuzzy. 

Yesterday I tried to focus on one French phrase all day, and I swear on my Vodafone pension (worth forgetting about), that I can't recall what it was. I even had to look up the title word for this post as it's meaning had escaped me.
This morning Bev propped a package against the front door.  Why did she do that you may ask?  The answer is because I promised her I'd take it to work for Ashley yesterday and forgot. I almost stepped over it on the way out today.

Aha! that reminds me! (I'll just pop it over to Ash...it's under my desk at the moment).

Things that help me to remember are post-its, electronic prompts, diaries, lists and Bev. I suppose I should also give credit to the girls at work. I don't always listen to them... which is not to be confused with a hearing impediment.  Kirsty says she's clamping down on my selective hearing (join the queue).
 
Before I forget, I must record a magical sight I've never had the pleasure of  seeing during my 57 years of life...until this morning.

As I crossed the field (8:50am) which houses five football pitches I was halted mid-stride by the sight of some beautiful light coloured birds (no, I know what pigeons are and can even spell them, but they weren't  pigeons) standing shoulder to shoulder cramming the entire cross-bar.  The rest of the birds were standing in the penalty area looking up at them as if waiting to be picked for a game or checking to see if there was standing room only for one more.  It was all happening around this one goal area and was the strangest thing to see. Then they flew off one by one.

I'm certain I won't see that again and, if I do,  it'll be the second time I'll be late for work because of it.

Anyway, getting back to forgetting things.  I was trying to think if it was possible to remember the last thing  forgotten without being reminded of the thing you forgot?  I don't think it is, is it?

Tonight we forgot how to cook and opted for a treat, after which we will see the day out with chilling-out big time!

Oh! I almost forgot...Apple have unveiled their new iMac at last, so this could be my last post from this PC.  It's already on it's way to us.

We're so excited as we've never had a new computer before. We've also bought new locks for all windows and doors and will be electrifying the house perimeter to supplement the five cameras already in place. Bev vetoed the proposed completion of the half-dug moat which was to be filled with crocodiles, as over the top.  I concurred knowing that possible intruders had to overcome a far more formidable oponent..but it's unfair to mention my MIL twice in as many days.

Perhaps we should just check our house contents insurance!

Oh no! I almost forgot!   A big welcome to Jo.  I hope you enjoy dropping in from time to time.

9 comments:

  1. Yes you should as any single items over £1000 should be registered, but I'm guessing you got a deal! So excited about West Park-should complete in 10 days!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try not to think about it Juli or it will be the longest and most nerve-jangling 10 days of your life.
    Yes,I got a deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember my mother doing daft things and forgetting stuff when she was our age (I'm the same as you)and I thought she was going bonkers and swore I would never let it happen to me.

    Today I was late for work because half way there I suddenly remembered that I couldn't remember if I had remembered to shut the back door. If you get my drift. In France I wouldn't have worried about it. In Derbyshire I daren't risk it. So I turned around and went back home and sure enough, the back door was unlocked and the conservatory door and its door into the house were not only unlocked but also wide open.

    Not being able to run as fast as I used to doesn't bother me. Losing my memory and grasp on daily routines does. Still, at least we still wake up breathing each day. "Pour l'instant."

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS I forgot to say, if you email me your address I'll send you some walnuts. I have a sackful and they are delicious. You'll find an email contact on my profile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jean
    I've sent it from work. It didn't click that you were so close to us (Derbyshire).
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw. Thanks, Ken. Loving your posts already. You do make me smile. J :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that can't be a bad thing.
    Thanks Jo.
    Where's your photo gone?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Learning French is a strange one really. I did it up to O Level at school and it is amazing how much one can still remember if you get into the zone. We find that watching French tv helps a lot, especially with the (French) subtitles on. The trick is not mixing much with English expats - find some French friends and practice practice practice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi FF
    Yes, I think that's good advice...especially French friends who have a spattering of English.
    We're fortunate that we have quite a few French friends that we see every week at church. Sometimes they come and spend the afternoon with us and we have a laugh trying to communicate.
    Between now and going to France again, I'd like to make some progress though...real progress.

    ReplyDelete