Sunday, January 24, 2010

I'm no pugilist...

The weather is as steely as yesterday but inside things have brightened up a bit.

After church I took a flower for Janey and checked if she was behaving herself. I found her contemplating mischief.

When I first met her she had vivid red streaks in her brown hair. Then she was brunette. Then she wore a blonde wig (which we shared once). Then back to a patchy brown before settling with her favourite.

The headstone is just like Janey...larger than life! I didn't have to go looking for it. It's taller than anything around. In life she was so small that you'd have difficultly in picking her out in a crowd...until of course she opened her mouth(in the nicest possible way).





Here's a few words that we sang today which she never caught sight of but will answer one day with a resounding yes!

Have I done any good in the world today? Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad? If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone's burdens been lighter today because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way? When the needed my help was I there?

If I can answer with a resounding yes too, then I'll be as happy as Larry...whoever Larry may be!

I was heartened today by what the church I belong to have donated in monetary terms over the past ten years to those in need...no less than 900 million dollars. I know it pales against what Christendom and the world in general have donated, but it doesn't take a genius to work out how many slices of bread you get for that amount and is pretty good for just one organisation.

They are in the thick of the current disaster too...leading by example which is what I expected.

George Clooney gets my vote for donating a Million and spearheading a billion dollar relief project. Add this to what governments and common individuals like you and me donate and you get a picture of genuine love and concern. It may not be an accurate picture but what the heck! I just hope it all gets to where it's needed very soon.

I googled Happy as Larry...
Australian boxer Larry Foley (1847 - 1917). Foley was a successful pugilist who never lost a fight. He retired at 32 and collected a purse of £1,000 for his final fight. So, we can expect that he was known to be happy with his lot in the 1870s - just when the phrase is first cited.

Yes, I had to look up 'Pugilist' too...it's someone who fights with his fists for sport. You learn something new every day...if you're lucky.

I'm no pugilist but I should really knuckle down to a bit of meaningful studying now.

I've just decided...I'm going to Kenya at the end of the year to help at the orphanage. Posting this is unfortunately very public and may be viewed as a motive for doing it, but I would have written it in my old journal anyway. I've never offered this type of help before so there's nothing to be blowing my trumpet about. I'll probably be more of a hindrance than anything but I'm tired of just talking about it.

5 comments:

  1. I recently came across a list entitled "100 things to do before you're 40" or something similar. I only skimmed it but there was no mention at all of anything altruistic. Just all selfish, me first, me the smart a..e stuff. People who do good deeds selflessly for others are not sexy these days. it's a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is random Jean but I know you like music...albeit rock. You just brought to mind a few words of a song...'And so it is, you tell it like it should be'.

    Such people also tie up with this next line of a song...'Why d'ya sing alleluia if it means nothing to ya'.

    I'd better check my bucket list now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kenya? Have you told Mum? I hope you do it Dad it will be a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks ken a really positive post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Juli
    Your Mum is pushing for me to go but don't worry, our marriage is still good. LOL

    Hi Splendid...welcome and thanks.

    ReplyDelete