Sunday, July 05, 2009

Wimbledon Final 2009

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep and cows.
-WH Davies

That's exactly what we were doing fifteen minutes ago.

After two weeks of Wimbledon without a drop of rain...including a record-breaking final, we nip out for a walk and get caught in a downpour.

We scurried to the nearest cover and stood under an oak tree and stared into the sky to guess when it would pass. I don't know if sheep or cows actually talk to each other, but we did.

I once saw a sheep standing under a horse for shelter. They seemed to get on well but I bet not two words were spoken between them. It was no fluke. We passed them often. They were genuine buddies. Soul mates to the end.

Hard luck Roddick. It was a tremendous effort and you should have won it. I think you increased your fan base...as you do each time we see you play.

Well, there goes another day...a historic one in terms of tennis and a unique one personally.

Philip Larkin the poet once said that days are where we live and they are to be happy in. I've lived in this day...the 5th July 2009, and I'm happy.

I wonder what happened in 1909, 1809, 1709 and 1609? They probably went to church, and had a long nap afterwards, but I bet they never followed it with a quiche salad and watched a Wimbledon final on TV! I'm now about to have a Mars bar...get in there! Isn't life good when we can have a treat now and then?

Juli is on the phone speaking to Bev. Gonna make a few phone calls myself if she ever gets off the phone (could be hours). It's good to talk I suppose!

A rare photo of me at the activity yesterday...

Maggie and Naomi making the ice-cream pots...David and Wendy's extension. Just look at the length of where the folding glass doors are going...

No comments:

Post a Comment