Monday, July 13, 2009

What happens next?

Tony Jeffries had his third professional fight on Friday and I missed it! Had I been there and blinked I would have missed it anyway because it was all over in less than two minutes.

When he came round for dinner on Sunday, my sister tells me he had TWO dinners and has put on 11 lb. He'll be going to Ibeza now, then some really exotic place with Sarah and Las Vegas to finish off.

Dya know what, I wouldn't mind even being the one who suffered a two minute beating if it means weeks of holidays and a blossoming bank balance! I take it back. I forgot I'm a wimp and probably wouldn't survive. Even if I did survive, it'll take weeks of hospitalisation, counselling and medication for life, afterwhich, I would have to run myself into the ground just to start the cycle all over again. You deserve every penny you get Tony.

Tom wasn't back from the barbecue when I last called at 10:15 pm. Some barbecue!

The poet John Clare was born this day in 1793 and died sometime after the battle of Gettysburg. Actually, this is a stupid statement as we ALL will die after the battle of Gettysburg and he didn't fight in it anyway.

He wrote..."If life had a second edition, how I would correct the proofs".

This is taking my thoughts at the moment as I don't start work for another half hour.

Honesty forces me to admit there will be lots of corrections in my life but it doesn't matter anyway. It's academic...we only have one bite at the cherry. Mortality is a one-off experience.

Annie Lennox sings..."I've got a life, it's the only thing I've got. I've got a life, it aint over, it aint over".

I've just got to make sure from now on that the cherry isn't a bitter gooseberry. I think that what I bite into next will be quite significant as I don't want it to bite back, or for me to have regrets.

This reminds me of what happened on Saturday morning as Bev pushed a plate of toast towards me as she munched on a half slice and was already pushing the other half in. No thanks, I politely replied...pointing to the green mould along one edge.

She promptly spat out the entire contents of her mouth and wretched in disgust. It was so funny.

Anyway, life goes on and I must ensure I don't spew out anything I take in without due care and attention.

I notice that a meeting has been scheduled this afternoon with 'Targets' as the only point on the agenda. Why do I feel a sense of anguish? Why do I predict the temperature in the room to soar?

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT is the right title for today's post. Watch this space. This is my life, it's 'live' and unfolding right before me.

I notice that Earl Haig, the painter son of General Haig of WW1 fame died last Friday.
He apparently discovered his talent for painting as a prisoner in Colditz. You could say that he found his freedom there.

As I sit in front of this computer I feel we don't have to be behind barbed wire or bars to feel imprisoned and in need of setting free.

Oh my word...who's feeling sorry for himself and doesn't want to be at work today? Can't you tell it's Monday.

The meeting came and went along with it's unrealistic targets.

Right! It's time to have a plan of action. I do not want to be here this time next year. I'm thankful for a job, but it's really time to move on soon for my own sanity.

It rained today...inside and out.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh..I don't envy you one bit, having to face another Monday in the corporate world. I was able to give up that madness and stay home with my son. I'm thankful for that every day. Good luck with your workday.

    I laughed at the toast story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not as hard as me Randi. I'm still chuckling now.

    ReplyDelete