Saturday, July 11, 2009

cette voiture marche bien

This car runs well...but it's a miracle. It seems to thrive on neglect. It hasn't had an oil change in two years and the last time I washed it was... 'Mmm, now let me think!

We've booked it in for next week because we've just realised that we can't really do without it. For it to start complaining now would be quite a disaster. It's getting the works! We're going to be nice to it and hope it'll continue to be nice to us.

Jon paid us a surprise visit last night and stayed over...he's off to buy two bicycles in Mansfield, but we had to leave him this morning as we overslept a little and had to rush out.

The car got us to Tuxford today so that we could raise funds for Children in Kenya (CHiNK).

We did really well and a lot of people turned out to support it. It was outdoors and the weather was just perfect.

You wouldn't believe the variety of things on sale. I came away with the strangest of purchases...a hinged lidded wooden boxed 12" single fat Dutch cigar that originally cost 50 French Francs. It just has to be of interest to a collector, so I'll put it on ebay to see if I can raise extra funds for the charity.

It seemed strange buying a cigar...the first I've bought in decades. It's so big I'm sure it could be floated on water with a fully grown man on top, and sail it...all the way to Holland.

We were wiped out when we eventually got back, so a little nap was just the ticket.

I finished my book 'The Children of Freedom' when I woke up. I think it lost quite a lot in the translation to English, but a very sad read nonetheless. Worth reading though.

Painted the panels for the remainder of the afternoon. Bev was in the garden.

The fruit of Bev's labour...

Thanks for today's post title Roy, but I have to say you are making me feel guilty about my lack of effort in the French language department.

ps, If 5 photographs aren't showing on yesterday's post, can someone let me know? I seem to have problems with uploading them.

4 comments:

  1. Hiya Ken - thought I'd return the favour and see what you are up to. I want to find out more about your plans for coming to France - it is a great place to live and can thoroughly recommend it.

    As for Bev's green fingers - what fantastic produce she has grown, although if I grew peas none of them would ever make it on to anyone's plates - I'd have scoffed them all during the picking and shelling process

    ReplyDelete
  2. A second comment from me - I know now that you will be in or near Josselin - quite a way from us. The chateau there is so beautiful. I've also found out about your faith and my favourite group The Killers also belong to this (don't know why I threw that in really).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, Bev does scoff them before they get to the plate.
    She's smiling right now as she doesn't often get a mention.

    I only found out last night through my son Jon about The Killers. It's the lead singer who is LDS (I think that's what he said).

    How the heck are you able to respond to so many followers?

    You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mum, I'm so jealous o all that lovely looking fruit-it's nothing short of a miracle if my plants live long enough to bare fruit!

    ReplyDelete