Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Page 16

We bought the Daily Mirror for MIL because she likes this newspaper.

If this is a reflection of what British society wants to read then Heaven help us.

The front page was split between a failed drug test for a second rate goalkeeper, how to obtain a free magazine, Posh and Becks and Michael Jackson's funeral.

Then you have to wade through pages of total rubbish...rumour, gossip, scantily clad society girls and special offers before reaching something newsworthy. Why do people buy this? Why did I buy it?

Page 16 made me sit up...156 dead as China takes on rioters.

The Muslim majority Uighurs in North West China are being dominated in the Capital by Han Chinese migrants who have taken over many political posts. They are using this political power to stir ethnic unrest. It's incredible to see the level of hatred and violence. Goodness knows where it's all going to end.

Why can't people just accept and respect the beliefs and traditions of others and enjoy a peaceful existence?

The worst thing is that we see the blood, anguish, distress and the injustice, yet we are powerless to do anything. All this carnage and suffering is often in our living rooms via the TV...then we pop into the kitchen for a snack, powder our noses or nip off to a dance or the pictures or some other peaceful happy activity and leave them to get on with it.

What are we to do? What CAN we do?

Such news makes me feel uneasy about how easily detached we can be.

On the work front, we are on the move again...back upstairs (now that Wmbledon has finished).
The work is still very demanding but at least we'll be back at our normal desks and familiar surroundings.

Last night I cleared my studio to accommodate the 6' panels I have to paint in the next two weeks, whileBev made a start with taking the wallpaper off the front bedroom walls. I gave her a hand for the last section.

Nearly finished the book I'm reading. I treasure reading in bed...it's a real luxury.

We are both back home now and ready to make a stir fry. Then it's tackling some more decorating.

I've just corrected my spelling mistakes in this post while Bev talks with her Mum.

I just thought of a line or two from a Dylan song...'If I had wings and I could fly, I know where I would go. I'd sit here on this bank of sand and watch the river flow'.

If I had wings and I could fly, I know where I would go...if I thought it would make a difference. But I don't think it will and besides which I can't speak Chinese. I'll just have to be discontented with being a pathetic page 16 passive observer and sympathiser.

So annoying!

4 comments:

  1. Amazing that something like that was hidden back on page 16.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't surprise me Randi. Nothing surprises me when it comes to newspapers. They all have different agendas. A major scandal regarding the News of the World is breaking news as I speak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken,

    You describe well the sense of helplessness good people feel in the face of political power. We feel it the more so in this age of instant communication, when masses of people can express simultaneous outrage and yet have no influence whatever on the situation. Witness Iran. It is all so infuriating that we must seek diversion, for sanity's sake, and the media are more than willing to provide it.

    rb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Instant communication should be the tool to make things happen quicker, not frustrate us more.

    Yes, I think I'm sane through diversion, but diversions always take us the long way round.

    Thanks for your comment Robert.

    ReplyDelete