Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Think good!

It was too warm last night. The windows were open to entice a breeze but to no avail.

However, something delightful wafted through. No, it wasn't those nasty little mosquitoes...can't call them delightful. It was the sound of solo, duet and quartet singing accompanied by a variety of instruments from the garden of the house at the back of us. It was like a breath of fresh air lasting up to 11:00pm.

I do believe there is nothing finer than live music performed amongst a small gathering. It reminded me so much of my student days when we used to visit each other's flats with our guitars. What a life that was.

My thoughts drifted to one time when Bev was heavily pregnant with Juli. After college we travelled with the class on a rickety old bus to Wales to watch John Webster's play...The Duchess of Malfi.

Although we didn't get back until the early hours, the memory of a live performance...even though only a little music was played, is something that is treasured. It's special, unique and personal.

The last time we saw a live performance was to see 'A Show of Hands'...the best acoustic group you could ever wish to see. We wanted so much for David and Eileen to have come. They would have loved it.

Anyway, a line or two from Webster's play came to mind yesterday as it relates to work.

'If by chance some curse'd example poised near the head, death and destruction through the whole land spread'. I know it's a bit unkind...but that's how I felt. Today I feel a lot better. Things are rarely as bad as you first think.

It must have been a negative experience altogether yesterday because another line came to mind from the play as I identified an individual that fits it like a glove. I swear it's the first time I've tied someone to the line, although if I think about it now, there are a few that come to mind.

The Duchess, speaking to Bosola says..."Thou dost blanch mischief; Wouldst make it white. See, see; like a calm weather at sea before a tempest, false hearts speak fair to those they intend most mischief".

Well, that's ******* to a tee!

On a positive note, she has some very good points which probably outweigh the bad. Who am I to judge anyway?

As Bev watered the veg and plants this morning, everything seemed just...if I could spell the word idylic, it would be the word I'd choose, but it doesn't look right. Life is so good. If I could just steer clear of being negative, I'm sure I'll reap the benefits.

Okay, the challenge for today is only to think good of everyone I come into contact with.

Hopefully ****** will be off sick today. Oops, sorry! Okay, starting NOW!

There you go. It wasn't so bad. My working day has come to an end and I've been positive throughout. I was surprised at the heat which hit me on leaving the building. It surely has to be the hottest day of the year.

Another surprise came when I learned Murray had already played and won. He's now in the semi-final.

I love the fact the GB are still in it. I can appreciate the passion Murray displays most of the time and he's done fantastically well to become number 3 in the world. He isn't my favouite player however. Roddick, Nadal and Hewitt are all better to watch...especially Nadal who has a great presence and temperament.

When all is said and done though, I have to back Murray playing against any of them, regardless of his bad temper and impatience...not that I'm criticising him you understand.

It looks like Roddick and Murray in the next round (not finished yet).

I'm off into the garden to trim the ivy and cut the grass. Perhaps I'll have time to cut a flagstone for the patio, then it's reading a few blogs, sorting out the menu for tomorrow (I'm cooking), and reading a chapter or two of 'The Children of Freedom' which is losing its battle to keep my interest.

I can't believe it hasn't rained during Wimbledon yet.

I'd like to end today's post by wishing Florrie all the best. Florrie Asher is the only 90 year old in the world that I have the privilege of knowing. Her birthday is today and I hope she had a memorable time.

I can honestly say that my thoughts towards her have been nothing but good all the years I've known her. Not one single negative thought. It's got to be a first, but that's really down to the kind of person she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment