Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Take heart

If I feel the way I do by watching it, how must Murray feel by doing it?

It was a late night and I feel like a tithe of my normal self. On top of this, I begin my new job feeling like I did on my first day at Hudson Road infants school back in 1957... bewildered, abandoned and ready to burst into tears. I just hope I don't wet my pants!

Actually, I might try the tears just for the guaranteed response. I'm feeling a little mischievous.

Why are they intent on making me be or do something I wasn't employed for? It's like asking a desk to become a plum tree, or a motorway to function as a bottle of milk. Well, I don't want to be a bottle of milk thank you very much...I know I'm feeling light headed but I've no intention of ever being drunk again!

Yes, I know that was bad, but I'm just not in the mood to be serious today.

Perhaps I should take this poem on board by Susan Coolidge who, amongst other things, edited the letters of Jane Austen.

New Every Morning...

Every day is a fresh beginning,
Listen my soul to the glad refrain.
And, spite of old sorrows
and older sinning,
Troubles forecasted
And possible pain,
Take heart with the day and begin again.

That's what I need to do...take heart and begin again. By all accounts I'm very good at starting things.

I think I'm ready to be an optimist again but, like Robert Brault, can't promise to take it up on a permanent basis.

I'm determined to list the things I need to FINISH, not start. This is my 'finishing' year after all...especially my France jobs. I think they are do-able. Ever the optimist is our Ken.

tbc...and it might be a long list.

I've decided to take my own advice from yesterday and be practical. I've already got a list so there's no need to type it up onto my blog. Besides which, I don't want everyone laughing at me once they catch sight of it.

Mark my words...I'm grasping the nettle this year. These are the words of a man of action who has embraced the concept of closure! Okay, go ahead and laugh, 'cos I'm having a good laugh myself.

3 comments:

  1. Ken,

    As I once said, "On the road from thought to action, words are the traffic congestion."

    You begin your last sentence by saying "Mark my words." Then, for good measure, you add "These are the words of a man of action..." Then, man of action that you are, you elect not to embrace closure but "the concept of closure."

    Ken, you are a man of action, make no mistake. But you owe yourself a more rousing manifesto, I do believe.

    lol

    rb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, the trouble with having a writer following my blog from time to time, is the gulf between our respective depth of thought and understanding. I'm like a gnat dancing on the surface tension of water while you are deep sea diving.

    I find myself having to think about the last part of your last sentence Robert. I'm reminded of the scene in 'Much Ado About Nothing' where he says..."I do believe there's a double meaning in there somewhere".

    I know I'm English and should understand it, but it's not often so, and isn't in this case.

    I'll take it as a compliment though.

    Thanks
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should change that to a BLIND gnat unable to see Jacques Cousteau below the surface.

    Yes, it's a compliment.

    ReplyDelete