Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Black, white and grey

I was trying to think the other day of when I first became aware of colour. As a kid everything seemed to be black or white...planes, bikes, cars, ambulances, footware, police uniforms, newspapers, photographs, watch-straps and TV.  Then there was grey for things like overcoats and battleships.

Americans spell it Gray and are convinced they are right, but we were first!

All right clever-clogs, I know black and white are colours too, but you know what I mean.

I think it was lipstick that first made me aware of real colour. No, I didn't have a use for it, but I remember my mother scrubbing up once or twice and giving me a smacker on the way to a rare outing.

It may have been my first sighting of a ladybird or the blue twist of salt in a packet of crisps or even the blue tissue of the individually wrapped fruit.  Incidentally, I emptied the contents of a crushed packet of crisps recently and was shocked at how much we pay for so little.  I've gone right off crisps. Mars bars aren't as big as they were either.

Bev also noticed that schloer bottles have become smaller but the price has increased.  In France you may think you are buying a tin of paint but when you open it you'll find only two thirds.  French paint sucks!

Anyway, I concluded that the first colour I became aware of other than what was caked in my nappy, was red...probably my own blood as a result of my dad's army issue leather belt.

I also remember watching the animals being slaughtered in the slaughterhouse down by the quay and watching the blood flow.  I can't believe they used to allow us kids to line up and watch.  Once, a bull panicked and escaped, which sent us scurrying down the alleyway with the beast not far behind us.  That was real fear for all concerned I suppose but more particularly for me who only had two legs.  The alleyway is still there and so is the shop at the bottom that I ran into for safety.

I also remember the black shawled widows bent over with age and who I imagined at the time to be witches.  If I thought one was looking directly at me I wouldn't dare make eye contact in case she turned me into a cat or something.

Black & White is the theme for our team Christmas decor this year...thought I'd just mention it.

I wish the newly proposed employee pension plans were as black and white..talk about confusing!

Black things that I like...liquorice, black pudding and that dress Bev once wore.  I'm also partial to black BMW's although to be honest I'd take any colour.

Today has been a bit grey but at least I haven't been rained on.

I'm looking forward to relaxing tonight.  I've just made tea for Bev (I don't do it as often as I should) it was only a jacket and filling but she appreciates things like that when she's tired.

I'm off to put a little colour back into her life.

2 comments:

  1. Ken, what about that black and white pattern on the edge of your pram hood that you say you remember??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactement! It was B&W and I'm thinking about colour!
    I DO remember that pattern. You forget I was pram-bound until my teens.

    ReplyDelete