Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Countdown 9...Politicians missing

Yes, I know I shoudn't talk about them while they are gone, but it helps with my therapy.

As you know, our misunderstood and unloved elected spend virtually half the year recovering from the effects of what they've put in place during the first half of the year. You'll find them wandering aimlessly on beaches throughout the world, muttering to themselves.

The Times today suggest that they are not mad or bad, but just as flawed as the rest of us. Surely they aren't suggesting they are normal? They can't seriously believe they are like the rest of us? Perhaps they are! I mean, I have been known to mutter to myself.

Lord Mandelson said recently that most politicians have psychological issues. He's never met a perfect politician...including himself. Well, you and me both, Mandy!

Abraham Lincoln had violent mood swings and Churchill had severe depression. Everyone before, in-between and after has something they can blame their actions on. It's said that childhood traumas drive them to politics. The problem is that politics equates to power and, when in power, they seem to change from being an authority, in authority to being authoritarian. Power is that heady drug that turns mild ordinary well-meaning individuals into ruthless, narcissistic compulsive risk-takers. Have you seen the film 'Gremlins'?

Anyway, I'm beginning to sound disaffected. I don't mean to be, and I'm not. It's just a friendy jab at easy targets. I have great respect for...okay stop!! I don't think I can go that far. However, I do like Patrick Mercer.

Last night I repaired the wall someone dislodged. If the weather holds, I should make good progress tonight.

I've noticed that no one who passes me can do so without making comment. "It's coming on", or "Better than wood 'innit?" . "Yer doin' a grand job me'duck". "I can tell you've done it before".

I even get people shouting to get my attention from several hundred yards. Once they have my attention they'd stick a thumb in the air of approval. I don't know these people from Adam. What is so unifying about a wall? I'm building it to keep them out! Anyway, for the sake of harmony I respond with a smile and a wave. I also acknowledge those who pip their hooters...again, I don't know them.

Bev was standing for a while talking to me and two girls walked by and said something in gruff voices before bursting into giggles. Bev told then to keep practicing and I wondered why on earth she should say that to them. Apparently, they were dressed as teenage boys and were walking and talking to see if they can attract a girl's attention. They'll probably grow up to be politicians.

Disaster! The bricks I have left are damaged and not good enough for anything other than the back of the wall. I would have bet that out of 150 I would have got the 50 I need. They are chipped just in all the wrong places. The problem is that they are very old and difficult to come by.

We've just got back from a scout around various reclamation sites without success. There's only one place left to try. I'm feeling as though I'm up against a wall here, or should that be half a wall?

5 comments:

  1. I loved this: "What is so unifying about a wall? I'm building it to keep them out! "

    It must be human nature that makes us root for someone who is building something. So good job on the wall, Ken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Randi, but it looks like I'm stumped for now. It looks like I won't be able to keep them out after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad, are the bricks that I have blue bricks. I know they are black in the middle if thats any help. I have a whole out house full of they if it's any use-we also have a pile of stone from when we had the doors put in.
    Does this mean you may be going to London again on Saturday?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Juli
    They need to measure 225 by 3" (foot in both worlds here) and without a frog. London is down the list now and very doubtful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm working from a position of knowledge regarding the bricks - that will teach to me read your latest post first :)

    ReplyDelete