Friday, August 14, 2009

Countdown 6... Six Hands in Tempo

I stole a moment while Bev was in the bathroom this morning (can be more than a moment) and gazed at my hand looking along the length of my arm. It takes the form of so many unusual shapes and, depending on the right positioning, I can make it look like I have no hand at all. Then I tried to imagined clenching a fist if the grasp was opposite to what it normally is. I just couldn't imagine it. God got it right.

Yes, it was a weird thought and fortunately Bev wasn't too long in the bathroom.

I did have a flash-back however of some friends who used to sing and play in the 70's. They were called Six Hands in Tempo. The sounds they created on their guitars with six hands were incredible. We would often bump into each other as they...and we to a certain extent, toured the clubs, pubs and universities.

I came across a photo of our little duo 'Witchwood' in a box from the attic and I've decided to scan and post it. I have hair!

Hands are incredible things aren't they? They do so much together. Where would we be without them?

When you think of famous pairs you consider the likes of Laurel and Hardy or salt and pepper, but hands are just called hands even though there are two. Neither one is more important than the other and they never fall out , point an accusing finger or get jealous because one is used more than the other. Well, perhaps they do point an accusing finger, but not at each other.

They carry out the menial as well as historic and can be so creative, lazy, masterly, destructive, informative, inspirational, industrious, therapeutic, cruel or loving. They get my vote for being the most versatile and helpful twosome of the planet body.

Anyway, my versatile twosome are off to touch bricks and finish what they started or it'll be a clip round the ear from Bev's twosome this afternoon when she sees how little work they've done.

Well, the wall still isn't done. Cutting and placing those rosemary tiles took a lot longer than I thought. I forgot that they are layered so that there are twice as many to do.

PANIC!! I forgot about my talk on Sunday and I'm at Ray & Sue's tonight. I've only got tomorrow to prepare a twenty minute talk in front of about 170 people.

I'll scan and post the photo tomorrow. No time right now.

Oh my word, Juli, Chris and the grandkids have just arrived from Sunderland. They want to see me before going to France. What a pleasant surprise! We've just written Emmaleigh's name in the concrete at the top of the brick pillar infill. It stays there forever. Cool!

3 comments:

  1. Hope the brickie persona is now done and dusted. I've got little but wide hands and when I was young and pushed for guitar and piano lessons they could barely stretch to cover the octave and certainly couldn't manage 'F' on the guitar.

    I often see a man in this area who has no hands or forearms and it is amazing watching how he gets things from shelves in the shops. We take things so for granted

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true FF, we do.
    I'd be tempted to give him a hand. I mean help him get something down if he struggles. But then again, perhaps not. I once helped someone with one leg and he took a swipe at me with his crutch. I guess I caught him on a bad day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This chap is very independent because I've seen others try and help him and he wants to do it himself. I'm quite short and often need help getting things from the top shelf in supermarkets- I'm more than happy to ask anyone nearby - and I've got the necessary French phrase down to a 'T' (pron. Tay of course!) - grin.

    ReplyDelete