Friday, August 07, 2009

Changes

It was nice to have a surprise visit from my brother Tom and Lesley last night. He dropped off the blue bricks and rosemary tiles for me and stayed a few hours.

I'm sure he could write a book about his experiences with the Duke and Duchess of Rutland. It was so funny to hear some of the stories. I'd love to mention them here, but I don't suppose it would be appropriate.

He has a meeting with them this morning to learn of his fate.

Most of the workers have already lost their jobs...including Tom after twenty-five years service, but the interview is for a different job. It's exclusively to work in the castle, not the estate.

Previously he'd been both inside and out. He's not sure if he really wants it, but he has no choice other than attend. He retires in two years and needs to be doing something in the meantime. These are tough and uncertain times.

So, this is the week-end that Ash and Amber move house and Tom finds out if he still has employment.

Here we are, another sentence and eight hours have passed by.

I've done some brick-laying straight after work, helped load a van with A&A's things, painted four walls of their living room, cleared up and phoned Tom.

Tom looks like being employed as a contractor to carry out specific tasks around the estate. The Duke will also pay him to drive him around Europe in his vintage car. He no longer has a nine to five job and he's not sure how he feels about it all. It's a lot of change at a time of life when change is difficult to embrace.

I guess he'll settle on the idea as time goes by. Personally, I love change. I hate standing still for too long.

I'm totally tired out but feel good.

Tomorrow I'll be up early to help with another load into the van, then the rest of the day is mine to work on the front wall.

The weather forecast is good for the week-end. The rain apparently is all cried out. It'll make a very pleasant change to have cloudless skies. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment