Monday, August 10, 2009

Countdown 10...Disappointment

We can't avoid disappointment can we?

If it isn't with the news, our government, tutors, employers or football team (they haven't even started the season yet), it's with ourselves, family, friends or fashion.

French Fancy was disappointed last week at getting a 2-2 in her exams. This week she's over it and is excited about plans for the future.

My disappointments are that I'm not two inches taller, not weighing less than I should, not being fitter and more intelligent. On top of these, I knocked Bev's signed photo of Donny off the landing wall two days running.

It'll take more than a week to get over these you might venture, but in reality I came to terms with them many years ago and have moved on...apart from Donny. I got over knocking him off the wall almost immediately! I'll have to sound sorry though when Bev confronts me.

The reality of having too much to do in too short a space of time, is the current disappointment. I never seem to learn. It now means cutting adrift anything that isn't absolutely necessary.

So it's bye-bye to that London trip to the RA Summer exhibition on Saturday.

I know I'm a grown man and shouldn't cry, but I was really looking forward to going.

I'm now on count-down to France starting at 10. Yes, just ten days to go and this week is crucial to my overall well-being.

This evening is working on the wall and preparing a talk which I've been assigned to give on Sunday at Church. Tuesday will be the same. Wednesday is doing something for someone else. Thursday is back to the wall and preparing that talk. Friday is at Ray and Sue's for a social evening and Saturday is the wall again, tidying up and finishing touches to my talk.
I won't even have time to listen to Sunderland's first game of the season.

If I can achieve all this along with the demands of a full-time job with half the team on holiday, I'll be on top of the world. It would leave me with Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to work on our bedroom, visits to Church families (H/T), packing for the flight on Thursday morning, ordering our Apple Mac, getting to the dentist, enjoying an hour or two with Bev, emails, blog and last minute things that always but always crop up at the last minute.

Next time I promise not to have such a busy calendar (didn't I say that last time).

David and Wendy made a surprise visit last night. They've cut their holiday short by a few days and were back to see all the changes to their house. They were very pleased with the panels I painted to such an extent that the thank-you card is possibly the nicest and most thoughtful card I've ever had.

They certainly weren't disappointed.

Life is good!

2 comments:

  1. I also wish I were taller and slimmer - although one would make the other one easier to achieve instantly.

    It wasn't my finals btw - the 2:2. I've still got three courses to go to try and claw my way back up to the 2:1 that I think I could just attain

    Shame the London trip is off - I'll be there next month - whistlestop family trip, nothing as good as an exhibition although might manage a theatre natinee (the thing I miss most of all living in Brittany is London theatre)

    ReplyDelete
  2. By chance I noticed a comment here. There must be a better way of finding out when comments are left. I just don't know what it is.

    Hi FF. Yes, 6'x 3' is better visually than 5'x4'lol. I'm a tad envious of you being in London to take in a show, but I hope you have a great time.

    ReplyDelete