Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Countdown 2...a man's world?

They say it is, but I have my doubts.

Sitting opposite me is Maureen. To my left is Christine. To my right is Charlie who is replacing Karen who is on holiday. Karen has food poisoning incidentally...just what you need on your holiday! Charlie fell off her bike yesterday and was surrounded by paramedics but has hobbled into work with her toes strapped together and her nail hanging off. Kirsty is opposite to the right and DAVE is opposite to my left. Dave is a Sky Sports football commentator every Tuesday evening and Saturday. I just thought I'd mention that for no particular reason other than it took me by surprise when I found out. He's very quiet and hardly ever speaks.

My doctor and dentist are women. My French teachers at school and FE College were women and I guess they still are.

My team leader is a woman as is my overall boss. I was interviewed by women and given the job by another woman. Most of the people working here are women. My boss at home is a woman. I only ever get told off by women (Bev, Eileen, Juli, MIL etc!)

Ask me why I'm looking forward to going to France for a month, two weeks of which will be devoid of women?

Actually, I admire them. They are there just for you the very second you are born and never miss your arrival even though they would rather be somewhere else, and they wiill no doubt be there the second you die.

They talk about everything and know everything. They are more observant and have a greater capacity to remember things than we men do. They create, educate and look after the population of the world. They seem to have patience, understanding, empathy and love that far exceeds that of their male counterparts. They really know about sacrifice. More often than not, if you want a job doing, ask a woman. They just get on and do things. They are lateral thinkers. they can multi-task. They are so often the unsung heroes. They are thoughtful, open, friendly and sensible. I can't imagine a great man without a greater woman behind him.

I only wish they can understand football.

Yes, they are often stubborn, infuriating and unfathomable, but would we be without them? I think not!

I'm not going to France to esape them really. I wish Bev could come straight away. We are nothing without our women.

On Sunday David Bourne introduced us to this poem which really impressed me about women and sacrifices they make...especially for their loved ones.

You are the trip I did not take
You are the pearls I cannot buy
You are my blue Italian lake
You are my piece of foreign sky
Anon.

Yes, all of these and more could have been theirs had they not sacrificed everything for us.

3 comments:

  1. One of the things I learned about poetry over the few years that I've been doing my OU course is that most of the poems marked 'Anon' have been written by women!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that poem before, it's a woman to her child. Sorry Dad. Hope you have a great time and get everything done that you need to. Looking forward to one day having a holiday there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason that doesn't surprise me in the least FF.

    Juli, Thanks. I'm looking forward to you being there too.

    ReplyDelete