Friday, May 15, 2009

Just one...

I enjoyed last night.
There was Ed, Jon, Anne, Bob, Kath, DavidB, Helen, Amina, David, Eileen, KenG, Pat, Elardeo, Dot, Graham, Julie, Steven, Hong, Mark, Kayt, Daniel, Ray, Bev and me, and as I battled through the rain over the short distance to the car this morning, I squeezed a thought in of how glad I was of the experience of meeting up and sharing an hour or so with them.

Over the years we've shared some memorable times and as a group achieved a great deal.

I'd like to focus on the less synergistic (if there is such a word) aspect of individual input, the sum total of which has been monumental. The importance of just one.

I received an email from Graham Buckell (one of the people named above) way back in August 2004 @ 8:15pm which highlighted the importance of one vote and the impact our individual effort can make.

Here it is...

In 1645, one vote gave Oliver Cromwell the control of England. Just 4 years later, the execution of Charles I took place because of a single vote.

Across the Atlantic in 1776, one vote gave America English instead of German as their language and later, in 1868 one vote saved Andrew Jackson from impeachment.

But perhaps the most telling example was that in 1923, one vote made Adolf Hitler the leader of the Nazi Party.

I am only one. You are only one. But don't ever imagine that we don't count.

The doors of history turn on small hinges.

On reading this again, and bearing in mind we have our local elections in two weeks I thought to myself, right, here we go... It's my time to make a difference. I've spurted enough about our politicians. I'll show 'em!

Then I realised I'll be in France.

I guess that's just one more thing to add to my list before tootling off.

Just been to Nottingham and back and am listening to 'Fifth Dimension' in the background when I should really be in bed. It's a big day tomorrow beginning with a two and a half hour car journey.

Just one week to go before I go to France. Just one! (I'm even counting the bed-times).

No comments:

Post a Comment