Saturday, May 16, 2009

Emm's big day

Now that I've figured out that the reason I've had difficulty posting is because I was on the Pacific Time Zone, we're sorted now and very happy!

Yesterday was overcast with medium to heavy rain...typical English weather but very welcome to the gardeners of this little 'ol island. Today started bright but is threatening more rain.

Bev has just come in from the garden (7:30am)...goodness knows what time she sneaked out!

I've been searching for ages trying to find the battery charger in preparation for taking a photo of Emmaleigh but I can't find it anywhere (I bet Ashley has it). He has this strange notion that because he bought it, it belongs to him.

Anyway, Emm has reached the age of accountability and it's her big day today. She wasn't baptised as a baby because it's our belief that babies have no need of the ordinance as they are not capable of committing sin and, as such, have no need to repent.

Sometimes I wonder and smile about the age of accountability...especially when I saw her take a swipe at her younger sister a few weeks ago while she was only seven. I guess a repeat of it will now be swiftly followed with a supposed heartfelt apology. We live in hope.

Actually, they are little angels and get on extremely well. I'm just having a little friendly swing at them and I should know better. A grandad isn't always the best example and you wouldn't believe how many times they've told me off.

In truth. I'm proud of her because it's been her decision to be baptised and she's been actively involved in who she wants to be involved. It's another big family gathering and the last for a few months so we'll make the most of it (as usual).

Bev has just come back from a delicate encounter and has plonked the charger on the table in front of me. It seems we are still a happy family. Nothing is going to spoil the day. Yes, I've already decided to buy one myself...when the sales come round.

We're off! Sunderland here we come. Me, Bev, her Mum, Bob Dylan, Annie Lennox, Bruce Cockburn, Lightfoot and Dire Straits are in one car and Martin, Sarah, Ash and Amber(plus unborn child) along with the rubbish they play are in the other. Jon, Serene and Austin will be travelling from Leeds.

Let the good times roll!

Well, we all arrived with time to spare. I even had time to walk to Ashbrooke Towers, a place I lived in as an eight year old or thereabouts whilst in care. I used to escape to the orchard at the bottom of the garden and watch the church my grand-daughter is being baptised in today being built.

I have very mixed feelings about Ashbrooke Towers but it is no longer the fearful place it once was.

We had to call the man in charge 'Uncle Percy', a hard, bitter and cruel man who carried a cane and walked with a club foot. Almost fifty years have passed and he still haunts me, but the house was magical and I look upon it with fondness now.

Anyway, the baptism was good. It was really nice to have little Danny and Aimee, as well as Great Grandma, Grandma, Aunties and Uncles participate in some way. Sarah sang beautifully I must say (no white lies).

The family gathering afterwards at Juli & Chris' home was a miracle unfolding (thanks to the food assignments organised through 'Facebook'. (I notice RB blog has a nice quote about Facebook).

We ate, laughed, talked and generally enjoyed the occasion.

On stopping at Morrisons before setting off back home and as Bev filled up with petrol (only 93p per litre), I dashed across the road and through a short-cut to see my sister and was caught in a downpour. Bev picked me up a short while later as I was talking with my two nephews ( my sister wasn't home). Although we are close, my sister wasn't at the baptism for some reason. I'll ring her tomorrow.

The journey home was shortened by singing along with Annie Lennox etc! The etc! was Ashley teasing me in the cramped condition on the back seat. Although they travelled with M&S they came back with us.

A good day now consigned to history as a landmark and fond memory in the life of Emm & Co.

Ashbrooke towers...
Emm...
With Mum and Dad...
What's so funny?

Bev with all the grandkids...and Jon

Juli...

And Emmaleigh...


All the group photos with the whole gang will be uploaded to the Devine family pictures website soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment