Thursday, May 14, 2009

Make it happen

Yesterday I was determined to say something positive sufficient to render a 'thank you' from the recipient. It worked.
I received at least a dozen and for one of them I even lied. I said someone looked really good and in truth they didn't. (Little white lies will make a fascinating subject for another post).
No Karen, I really did mean it when I said you looked nice. I lied about the other person...the one who doesn't read my blog!
Oh my goodness, since when do you read my blog Kirsty? (only kidding!)

I tried to post this four times and finally I was rewarded with success. I just needed to make it happen.

The lights above our bank of desks aren't working and I logged a call two days ago to have them fixed. I was promised a swift response from Carol in Portsmouth. Yes, Portsmouth and not Newark. Isn't it crazy that someone has to come several hundred miles just to put a light bulb in?
Thinking about it though, perhaps it isn't so crazy when you consider we often have to talk to someone in India to make things happen right here where we stand.

I enjoyed the conversation with Carol nonetheless as Sunderland play Portsmouth on Monday and I asked if she could fix that too. I'm afraid I couldn't make it happen. She didn't fix either of my requests and I had to kidnap one of their engineers who I found wandering in a dazed state whilst taking care of unrelated business just across the floor.

After a heated exchange (not from me I might add, but from Karen who has been suffering from light deprivation this past two days), I eventually made it happen and he changed the light fitting and scurried off in an even more dazed state than I found him as far away from Karen as possible. I bet he's already back in Portsmouth.

I'm left to consider who is the most fortunate as I remain here not two feet from Karen. To be fair, the lights are so bright that Karen is swiftly returning to 'normal' mode and is currently safe to talk to.

Making it happen is not without it's consequences, is it?

Roll on 4:00pm home time! (and the dozens of things I've yet to make happen, not least one or two things for our visit to France.

I'd love to be able to find that email which looks at what difference just one individual made to change the course of history.

I'll find it somehow (make it happen) and post it soon.

1 comment:

  1. Ken,

    I'll await with eagerness your post on white lies, although I may beat you to it (It's the intended subject of my post for tomorrow morning.)

    I like the notion you came up with yesterday -- doing something twice for the first time. You may find me expanding on the idea a little bit in my blog (with an appropriate link back to you, of course.)

    Really been enjoying your log. Read it every day.

    smiles,
    rb

    ReplyDelete