Tuesday, May 19, 2009

One day at a time

Well, they gave 110%. There was passion, real blood, bucket loads of sweat and tears...but the tears were mine!

We played exceptionally well. We hit the post, scored one of their goals...the ref scored the other. We outplayed them and were the better team by far...but lost! Where is the justice?

What does Shakespeare know of tragedy? Who's ever heard of Stratford on Avon in the football world? He never hung his heart on a football team. What does he know?

Anyway, the tragedy is yet to come.

During the nail-biting, nerve jangling final game of the season (against one of the best teams in the world), when only one of four teams will occupy the final relegation space, I'll be stuck in a car in rural France with an intermittent radio signal. I'm likely to miss it all...the twists and turns and everything that goes with the final game. Oh, the pain!

'Tell you what, Portsmouth are going to get my finest 'rasberry'!

It's 9:00pm and I've just spent the entire day in hospitals (nothing to do with last night's result).
Bev developed kidney stones again and woke to a surprise package of excruciating pain and wretching. She's sufficiently drugged up to have a peaceful pain-free night, thank goodness.

I left her quietly sleeping and in excellent hands at Kings Mill Hospital (40 mins drive).

On the way home I had the most amazing drive. The sky was mostly paynes grey but to the right there were splashes of cerulean blue. The fields were vivid greens and yellows and I was the only car driving on a new dual carriageway coming from Mansfield to Newark stretching like a dark ribbon through all this colour.

What made it spectacular was the perfect rainbow right before my eyes. I felt that I was driving right through it but in fact never reached it. It was with me all the way home and at one point it doubled up.

This was my own private view in the gallery of life. I was the solitary driver who experienced this never to be repeated scene . I've seen a full rainbow before but not quite like this. This was unique and had I had a camera, I would have been able to stop and capture it.

I notice Rob has a post about art. As an artist I won't be able to resist having a read, then I'll call it a night.

Bev's last words to me tie in nicely with the post title...'let's take it one day at a time'.

I hope they let her out soon. Already missing her. The house feels different when she's not here.

No comments:

Post a Comment