Sunday, May 10, 2009

Gatton

Between 1961 and 1968 I attended the Royal Alexandra & Albert School in the luxurious grounds of Gatton Park in Reigate Surrey.
Today is founders day and I'm unable to attend but I thought I'd say a few words about the place in recognition of it's influence on me.

I know it sounds as if my family were rich, but the truth was that I was in care. My parents were not only poor but unable to sustain their marriage and as a consequence of this, my Mother on her own was unable to cope with my being at home with an already demanding family.
She did her best but you need to understand just how much of a handful I was. If I wasn't laying at death's door as a result of injuries sustained through suicidal pranks and adventures, I was a continual magnet for all things leading to trouble and police involvement. Even in care with foster parents I was too much to handle.

The turning point came when I painted a picture of a ship that was recognised by the local authorities. It was the only thing I'd done which showed I had potential and before I knew it I was sitting in front of the board of governors in the former home of the Coleman family (the mustard people) Gatton Hall, set in grounds landscaped by Capability Brown. The place had lakes and woods and was paradise for someone who had never seen grass.

I was asked a number of questions before being excused so they could consider what to do with me. On my return I was told of my acceptance as a boarding student to commence within weeks. I was truly happy that day. It was the perfect place for a young lad and I didn't really care that Sunderland (my home town) must have breathed a sigh of relief at having successfully passed me on as someone else's problem.

I was here when President Kennedy was assassinated. I was here when the Stones and Beatles created the music still with us today. I was introduced to the music of Dylan here and it was here that I watched England win the world cup and saw Ali rule the world.

These years were the happiest of my life. I still got into trouble, but only through the exuberance of youth.

I've been back many times since leaving and most of it is exactly as it was when I was a child.

Gatton Hall (where the senior girls slept)


The Chapel...
Kent House where I stayed as a senior. We built a boat in that ground floor corner room and I never did find out how it got out because it filled the room as I recall.

In front of the big lake with my old school friends. To the left of me is the cricket pavillion still standing after all these years and the back of Gatton Hall at the top of the hill. To the right, racing horses use to run in the fenced off fields. All the grass was kept short and immaculate and used for sports, including my archery classes (yes, I was trusted with a bow and arrows).


And this is me at the end of the last visit (unfortunately the car isn't mine).

No comments:

Post a Comment