Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Challenges

Is it really Wednesday already? I'm feeling under pressure now! I still need to get things for France and I don't quite know where to get them from yet.

You think you have all the time in the world, don't you, but then all of a sudden it's gone.

They say that a problem shared is a problem halved, so I think I'll do a bit of sharing.
They also say that a friend in need is a pest, so I'd best tread carefully.

I woke up this morning thinking of Bev and the pain she was in yesterday. I'm glad the pain has gone, but it made me think of how fortunate we are that when we think of pain, it never returns with the same intensity as when it was originally experienced.

I was laying in bed trying to re-create a painful moment from the past...didn't feel a thing! Can you imagine if it was possible? It doesn't bear thinking about, does it? We'd be terrified in case we had a stray thought. We'd see people doubling up in agony all over the place.

It's also a good job we can't experience all the pain we'll have in life in one go...all over and done with in a ten year block so we can really enjoy the good stuff.

It's best that it's spread out over the years and intermingled with pain free experiences. I don't think we can fully appreciate the good without having first experienced the bad. We wouldn't survive more than a week anyway. We need rain before we appreciate sunshine. I think he got it right!

Anyway, that was my thought of the day which is flawed in the extreme now that I'm starting to think of it. There wouldn't be any time after all the illness if the illness happened to be terminal cancer, or some debilitating condition. Then there are the murders, deaths through war and car crashes etc! Oh well, it was only a fanciful thought.

It's time to face the real world and real challenges now.

Bring 'em on!

The day was devoid of challenge as it happens. It just dissolved in an instant and I was soon on my way to the hospital again.

I found Bev in a private room with ensuite facilities. The view was stunning and she was talking with a cheery nurse. There was optimism that she could come home with me as the kidney stone had found a new home in a glass jar, but it wasn't to be.

She must have watched from her lofty glass nest as I drove into the hills two hours later.

Tomorrow will come soon enough.

No rainbows tonight although the castle looked very striking in floodlight as I crossed the river.

The only challenge of the day is finding a vase for the flowers I wan't allowed to leave...new regulations to go with a new hospital.

1 comment:

  1. Ken,

    This is really a wonderful fancy, delightfully expressed. It's good that we cannot recreate pain in our minds. I wish it were true of embarrassment, which I can recreate totally in my mind, to the extent of wanting to run and hide under the bed.

    smiles,
    rb

    ReplyDelete