Sunday, May 02, 2010

Startling success

Friends and family converged on Dub Cote Farm in Horton in Ribblesdale North Yorkshire on Friday night.This was our first sight of the first of the Three Peaks as we arrived...note the width of the lane which is barely wide enough for a single vehicle. The sight of the first peak was of more concern.
Ash and Martin didn't make it to their campsite last night. They couldn't get a signal on their phone for navigation and settled for throwing a tent up in a pay and display car park just the other side of midnight. They eventually arrived and joined us for a hearty breakfast. Here we are in convoy ready to move to the village and clock in.
We're off! Bev (far left with the walking stick) is attempting it with a bad foot.
The village is way in the distance and Scott is well in his stride
I forgot to charge my batteries but fortunately David had some new ones...which were dud. I have to be selective on how many shots I can take.
After some hard climbing there was still this to come...I don't think Bev will cope with it.
Jack (or is it Tom) near the top...
Not far to go now. We are climbing on hands and knees. Bev will never manage this.
It was hard going on the other side as the weather turned. I was isolated with children whose parents  had been detached and out of sight behind us. They knew they were safe with us but expected them to continue along the route back to the village. It meant I couldn't really leave them and carry on to the next peak. I didn't have a map anyway and had no idea which direction it was. One walker we met told us we'd missed the turning a mile or so back. I wasn't going back so we carried on and eventually came out at the village.

I was very surprised to see our car (the Toyota). I assumed that Bev would have soon given up and come back to collect the car in time to drive to the agreed pub for refreshments later. The injury incidentally is what happened when I slipped on the loose rocks on the way down.

I found out that Bev had in fact climbed it and was making her way down the other side with Eileen and Denise. I was so amazed that I walked back up to give her some support.  I'm glad I did. She had pulled a muscle and was hobbling at a painfully slow pace. We freed Eileen and Denise to walk at normal speed and hobbled the last few miles through rain and hailstones. Time...6 hours 15 minutes.

We were both cold and very, very wet.

I may have failed in the challenge, but Bev was a startling success.

Martin, who completed the three peaks with David and John said it was harder than the London Marathon of last year which made me feel very fortunate not to have carried on.

Was it worth it? Yes! 

Will I do it again? No, but I might be tempted just for the views.


  1. That did take an extraordinary effort. Sorry for your injured hand. The views must have been amazing though. Be proud that you did it!

  2. Congratulations ! I bet you're glad you did it even though you might never do it again.

  3. Hi Septembermom
    Let's not forget that I did far less than others, but I agree on the views and am glad I was there.
    I also learned that Bev is every bit as stubborn as I thought she was...and I was proud of her for skirting the boundaries of her limitations.

    Hi Jean
    I'm glad I participated for sure. I think the only way to experience such views and the peace associated with them, is to push yourself a little. I'm glad though that I wasn't pushed to the limit as were David, John and Martin who went the whole hog, and others who reached their limit.

  4. Ken, when Denise sends the picture of the 3 grannies on top of Pen-y-Ghent, will forward it. Bev has true grit!!! (Needs it married to you, ha!)

  5. Good photos Ken! Hope it's OK if I pinch a couple for my blog too - didn't take any of the climb up - just lots on the way down!

  6. Hi Helen
    I didn't take any on the way down so I'll look forward to seeing a few.

    Thanks for a lovely meal. Do you mean the three grannies who have reached their peak?