Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Countdown 8...clean warm and happy

At last a baby boy weighing 8lb 6oz. No name yet but all is well. Well done Serene and we look forward to seeing you all very soon.

Speaking of arrivals...here I am 8 years of age in 1960 and arriving at number 8 Godfrey Road for my first stint of care. My brother John is already here and I'm following him upstairs and taking advice on not being too cheeky, using slang or swearing at the staff. He's basically telling me to keep my nose clean. We'd just washed the pots together for the first time in our lives and he was now showing me the bedroom we were to share. We had a bed each with clean sheets and pyjamas and the room was warm and clean. We just weren't used to this level of comfort.

On the bedside cabinet was a Bible. I can't remember how I learned to read, but I remember reading a few verses after washing and falling asleep happy, clean, safe and warm.

I woke up the next morning feeling truly happy that it wasn't all a dream. It was like waking up on Christmas morning with lots of presents. There was hot water and soap, clean towels and a breakfast waiting for us. Surely I must be in Heaven. Surely I couldn't be happier. Surely I didn't deserve this.

3 comments:

  1. That's the way to be: clean, warm and happy. Nicely written Ken.

    How wonderful to hear about a beautiful baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly
    Yeah, you just can't beat clean sheets, being warm and happy...unless of course another grand-child comes along. Now who said he was beautiful ? Aren't all babies ugly?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken, all babies might be ugly but grandchildren are the cutest...LOL, that's the proud grandma of a 3 month old speaking..:) This page about how you discovered heaven in the small comforts we take for granted, was beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete