Thursday, February 17, 2011

All news...good, bad or indifferent.

Yes, my job has officially gone to India and even though the headlines mention the creation of 300+ jobs here in Newark, I have decided against having one of them. It's time to move on. I know it sounds crazy considering the current climate, but I only need a little part-time job really. If I was a young man, I'd grit my teeth and force myself to enjoy it, but I'm not and I won't, because I can't. It's bad enough that I have to wait until June to finish.


Notice the headline of the accident on the A1 on Monday. While some poor lorry driver was fighting for his life and losing, I was enjoying a romantic traffic-beating walk and making plans for the future. I wonder if he had plans for Valentine's evening too? It's sad.

On our walk, we noticed the new(ish) plush Italian restaurant we liked so much, had closed. We later found out that the owner had died suddenly and the family aren't carrying on with the restaurant.


The Bridge Inn (article above) is less than a five minute walk along the road we live on. I used to go there to watch Sunderland play football on the big screen. I'm glad to see it go as I associate it with frustration, anguish, disbelief and anger :)
I took this picture myself. It was the chimney stack I wanted to catch on film but the camera took too long to switch on.

Look at what I noticed last week when I received my copy...do you see anything wrong with the title?

The good news for today is that Trent Galleries have taken 11 of my paintings.


8 comments:

  1. Bad news, good news seems a part of most days. How encouraging the gallery has taken your wonderful paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love your photos, Ken. They are obviously taken with your artist's eye and are either beautiful, dynamic, stunning or thought-provoking.

    What is a lorry? That was a sad story. Stories like that always remind me that rarely does someone wake up and say,"Oh, today I'm going to die."

    Glad to see the galleries have taken your paintings. Since I'm not an artist, I have to ask--is it painful to let a painting go after you've worked on it?

    Was that misspelling on your book? I re-read your story. The accounts of the helicopter and plane were very touching. You are truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wonderful news about your paintings. I've got my fingers crossed for your job situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Madonna Dries Christensen20 February 2011 at 12:57

    Ken, I can't believe this error. I will talk to them, but I imagine it was my fault, not catching it in the galley proofs. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paul
    Yes, the thorns always appear to be lurking close by...sunshine and rain as well as pleasure and pain.

    Randi...that was so funny (what's a lorry?) but when I really think about it, it's a peculiar name, isn't it? It's a truck, by the way!
    Yes, it is painful to see a painting go. It's slightly niggling to realise that I can't really afford to buy one of my own paintings and can't really afford to keep a hold of any.

    Hi Tess
    Thanks! It is good news. I'm hoping that I will enjoy the experience of painting this time around.

    Hi Madonna
    It matters not to me...what is between the covers is what counts. I'm really enjoying the read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear it has been one of those weeks! Hurry up and get to France! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the gallery taking so many of your wonderful paintings!!! That's terrific news. Very sad about that man's death and the demise of the restaurant. I'm sorry to hear about the turn of events with your job. Hoping that brighter horizons are ahead for you, my friend. Off to the courthouse tomorrow once again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Blu
    The weeks are flying by and it won't be long now.

    Hi Kelly
    Hope the jury service ended well. I haven't had time yet to visit any blogs...you may have already written about it. I'll be visiting soon.

    ReplyDelete